Monday, October 6, 2008

Lime Meltaway Cookies




With Autumn in fall swing, all I want to do is bury myself under a warm blanket with a warm cup of tea. This vision might be very grandmother-y, but that's always the way I feel when the weather starts to change and the leaves start to turn. Montreal has this wonderful way of welcoming you to fall. In anticipation of many weeks of winter to come, the trees lend themselves to a spectacle of oranges, burgundy and browns. Our new apartment has a great view on the montain, and every morning it seems like a new tree has decided to rid itself of its greens. Every year I wonder which tree has mounted the necessary courage to change colors first without fear of ridicule...and like every great trend, its neighbhours then follow one by one.


These cookies fit my mood this weekend. They were easy to make and as promised did meltaway in your mouth leaving behind a lovely taste of sweet lime.

Recipe, adapted from Martha Stewart Cookies
Makes about 5 dozen
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) of unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup of confectioners' sugar
Finely grated zest of 2 limes
2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon of coarse salt
Put the butter and 1/4 cup of confectioners' sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy (about 4-5 minutes). Add the lime zest, juice and vanilla and mix until fluffy.
Whisk together the flour, cornstarch and salt in a separate bowl. Add to the buttery mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.
Divide dough in half. Place each piece of dough on an 8 by 12 inch sheet of parchment. Roll in parchment to form a log. The dough will be a little sticky folding the dough in the parchment and rolling through the paper will help to form an even log. The log should be about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Pressing a ruler along the edge of the parchment at each turn will help to make the log as round as possible. Once the log is formed and wrapped in the parchment, chill for at least an hour. Do the same with the other piece of dough. If you can chill the dough for 2 or 3 hours, it will make it that much easier to slice.
Preheat your oven to 350 F. Remove the parchment, and cut each log into 1/4 inch-thick rounds. Space rounds 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake cookies until barely golden, about 13 minutes rotating the sheet half way through. Once the cookies are cooked, transfer to wire racks and leave them to cool for about 10 minutes. While they are still warm, toss them in the remaining 2/3 cup of confectioners' sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous! The Fall is my favorite season :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I live the change of colour in Eastern Canada. I grew up in Ontario so spent many a Sunday driving through the countryside, visiting markets, etc. I have a section on my blog for Canadian bloggers so have added you to the roll call:D Great blog!!

Peter M said...

As I thought...the melting away part won me over in the title and the gift wrapped cookies...for me??

Allie said...

Thanks for the comment! Your blog looks amazing with all the detailed pictures. I'm drooling right now. Can't wait to see what's next.

Jamie said...

Those look incredibly yummy! great photo!

Anonymous said...

These look so tasty...beautiful photo!

Maria said...

I printed this recipe awhile ago...I just haven't got to it yet. You convinced me to move it up on the list. Your cookies look amazing! I love the cute ribbon too!

Prudy said...

What fabulous photos! I've made these cookies before from MS and loved them.

Aggie said...

Oh these look so delicious...I love the thought of lime in them too!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Your cookies look amazing. I like that there is lime in them; it's very unique. I would love to try these.

NĂºria said...

What a beautiful blog you have and what a cozy nice post... I love that simil between the trees and the neighbours!
See the bright side... you are so lucky to see that every day show through your window :D

These cookies are fantastic... not that I bake... but if one day I start, I will have these in mind :D

Helene said...

So..how was culinary school? Did you enjoy yourself? Are still in the midst of it?
Love those cookies and you def. made them justice!

Y said...

These sound so good! You've just talked me into making them :)

Anonymous said...

These look quite yummy! I love how you styled the picture.

test it comm said...

What a great name; lime meltaway cookies. Nice photos!

Chocolate Shavings said...

bellini valli: Thank you! And yes, there's just something magical about Fall in Canada, don't you think?

Tartelette: Culinary school was absolutely wondeful - although it was very physical and demanding at times, I learned more about food than I could ever have hoped. I'm glad you like the cookies, coming from you its the best of compliments (I absolutely LOVE your photographs!).

V.Streit said...

gorgeous photo...

Mallory Elise said...

ahhhhhhhhh that is such a brilliant photo. who first started the cookies + ribbon marriage--maybe the same who popularized those little wooded spoons.

i need to update my ribbon collection.......maybe first start one.

:)

Peabody said...

Lime is everywhere lately. These are so making me crave it even more.

maybelle's mom said...

Oh, I feel oh so much the same way when fall comes around. these cookies would be perfect when hiding under the covers.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I haven't had these in YEARS. My tastebuds are going nuts right now wanting one. Love them. Mmmm....

Ash said...

so cute!!! I'm a fan of limes!! love em!

Anonymous said...

These look great. May we link to this recipe or post it on our cake decorating forum?

Chocolate Shavings said...

create a cake: Sure, you can link to the recipe! Can you send me the link too to your forum?

Anonymous said...

absolutely stunning! you can count me in as a new fan of your blog.

Cakebrain said...

Wow! I love the look of your blog! in fact, I've been fiddling with my layout trying to get similar colours! Did you create the layout yourself? I love chocolate and the colour is so soothing! The pic is gorgeous!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Celine: Thank you!

Cakebrain: Yes, i did! I'm glad you like it.

Christine said...

What a gorgeous picture! I remember when my mom bought Pepperidge Farm Lime Meltaways and I thought it was the best. Now I can make my own!

Theresa said...

I love these! I linked to you from my blog, but if you would rather I didn't, just let me know.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin