Monday, September 13, 2010

Creamy Mustard Chicken with Mushrooms


Working in the food industry often means having to boost your cravings at odd times of the year. Back in hot and humid June where sweaters and socks were tightly packed away, I found myself in my kitchen with my oven on for hours on end taste-testing slow-cooked recipes for different magazines I work for. Now that the leaves are slowly changing colors - my favorite, favorite time of the year - it's the best time to put these recipes to good use and get the most out of gentle and slow cooked meats.

This recipe is a real pleasure during those colder months of the year where you want to dig into a creamy and tender chicken dish after a long day. This recipe makes the most of being slow-cooked and retains all the flavor of tasty organic chicken by being cooked with the bone and skin. The skin should stay crispy and the meat be fork-tender when you bring it to the table. Served with mushrooms and a creamy mustard sauce it's pretty close to a perfect meal in my book. I like to present it alongside some wild rice mixed with nuts and cranberries, some couscous with herbs and almonds or some potato puree finished with a touch of truffle oil. It's also delicious as it is though - served with a nice piece of crusty bread to soak up the sauce.

Creamy Mustard Chicken with Mushrooms


6 chicken pieces, legs and thighs
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Olive oil
1/2 cup of low sodium chicken stock
16 cremini mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup of half-fat cream
2 tablespoons of grainy mustard
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
A small handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped

Preheat oven to 325 F. Place a stockpot on medium high heat and add a good drizzle of olive oil. Dry the chicken pieces on each side with a paper towel and generously season with salt and pepper. Place in the stockpot and leave untouched for 3-4 minutes while the chicken browns. Gently turn the chicken and brown for 3-4 minutes on the other side.

Add the chicken stock to the stockpot, leaving the chicken skin side up so it doesn’t become soggy. Cook for 45 min-1 hour until the chicken is just cooked through. When the chicken is just about done, add a good drizzle of olive oil to a small pan on medium heat. Add the mushrooms and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Saute the mushrooms for 5-6 minutes. Lower the heat and add the reduced chicken stock from the stockpot. Add the cream, grainy mustard and stir. Reduce the sauce until desired consistency and add the lemon juice. Spoon over the chicken. Sprinkle with the parsley. Enjoy!

26 comments:

Alice said...

On my list to make this weekend!

Sanura said...

I'm beginning to see recipes using mustard. This is a very elegant, simple dish. Great for the fall.

CC11 said...

That is one sexy looking dish - yum!

Delicious Dishings said...

I'm so happy you were testing this perfect fall recipe back in June. I hope I'll have a chance to make it this fall. Such great flavors!

Taylor said...

I wish I could make chicken look that good!

the dainty baker said...

mmm yum what a lovely dish! Simple yet refined.. looks delicious!

Deana Sidney said...

My dearly beloved does not like dark meat so I have to make it when he's not eating with me... this is a great idea with my favorite mushrooms and mustard. Thanks for sweating to make it!

Unknown said...

Please, can I have some! Looks lovely, comforting.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Wow. You have outdone yourself. Dumb question - is 'half fat cream' what we refer to as 'half and half'? Cannot WAIT to make this!

Nessie @ bakingequalslove said...

I'm a thigh girl too when it comes to chicken. Mushrooms + mustard is my idea of a heavenly meal! YUM! I make a similar dish with italian marsala wine...you reckon it would be poss to substitute the stock with marsala? Don't know if I've already said this but your blog is gorgeous - stunning photography! :)

Megan said...

This dish sounds delicious! I love the flavor combination. And I am totally ready for some Fall food. I love this time of year!

Unknown said...

What a delicious and elegant meal! What time should I come for dinner daaaaahling?
*kisses* HH

M. said...

Did you transfer the chicken to oven to cook it for 45min or you left it on a stove??? It just doesn't say in the directions, but preheating oven to 325F is mentioned in the beginning.
Would like to make this for dinner, it sounds delicious :)

Chocolate Shavings said...

M. :It's meant to be cooked in the oven, but you could cook over very low heat on your stove top if you wanted to. The only key is for the chicken to cook slowly and gently so the meat stays nice and tender.

The Church Cook said...

I just printed the recipe to try it on my church family's Sunday dinner! I have confidence that all 300 people will love it. Will let you know!

The Church Cook said...

I just printed the recipe to try it on my church family's Sunday dinner! I have confidence that all 300 people will love it. Will let you know!

Anh said...

the chicken loks wonderfully moist!

Chocolate Shavings said...

Kay Heritage: Wonderful, let me know how it goes!

Lynda said...

You are so right - this sounds like a perfect cozy dish for this time of year.

M. said...

I made this for dinner few nights ago, and it was delicious...
the mushroom sauce was really yummy!
:)

Maria @ ScandiFoodie said...

This looks delicious! I've used mustard with chicken before and really loved the combination :-)

City Girl (EC1) said...

This looks divine (as do your many other delicious recipes!) I am following your blog and can't wait to try some out :)
City Girl x
http://citygirldiariesec1.blogspot.com/

angela@spinachtiger said...

Glad I stumbled over here. I love this recipe.

Pretty. Good. Food. said...

Mmm, looks delicious! Think I'll make this for dinner tonight:)

oak dining room table said...

This is delicious! I love the combination. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Foodelf said...

Jennifer - this is now at the top of my must-make list.

I'd like to ask you about why you chose a stockpot for the chicken. Mine is huge and certainly wouldn't fit into my oven. Did you select the stockpot to avoid stovetop splatter? And - did you transfer the chicken to another lower-sided pot for the oven?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin