Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Speedy Stir Fry Series - Chicken and Mango Stir Fry


Hi, this is O. again taking a little bit of Jenn's Chocolate Shavings space for my Speedy Stir Fry Series. Despite all the syrupy, sickly sweet concoctions served at many chinese takeout joints, I still enjoy the addition of a sweet element to a stir fry. This Mango and Chicken Stir fry follows a basic quick and simple technique, with some added finely sliced mango. It really brings this simple dish over the top. I find that it makes a perfect end of summer lunch.

Chicken and Mango Stir Fry

Serves 2-3 people

1 large chicken breast
2 tablespoons finely diced garlic
2 tablespoons finely diced ginger
1 tablespoon of peanut oil
5 green onions, cut in half lengthwise, then into 2 inch pieces.
1 mango, sliced into 1/4 inch strips

For the marinade:
2 tablespoons of Shao Hsing rice wine
1.5 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 teaspoons of cornstarch

For the sauce:
1/4 cup of chicken stock
2 teaspoons of Shao Hsing rice wine
1 teaspoon of cornstarch

Mix together the marinade ingredients, making sure to dissolve the corn starch. Slice the chicken into bite sized cubes or strips and add to the marinade. In a separate bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients. Prepare your garlic, ginger, green onions, and mango and reserve.

Heat your wok until it begins to smoke. Add the cooking oil. I sometimes like to add a big chunk of leftover ginger to flavor the oil, but this is optional. Add the chicken and marinade mixture to the wok, spreading it evenly. Let it sear for 30-45 seconds without mixing. Add the garlic and ginger over top and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the green onions and sauce and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes until the chicken is just cooked through. Add the strips of mango, stir a couple times and serve immediately with rice or noodles. Enjoy!

16 comments:

gfs said...

yum - love simple stirfries!

~Lisa~ said...

Simple, healthy and delicious. I love stir fry's and I love that photo too!

Valérie said...

Une belle association de saveurs et de couleurs
Je te souhaite un beau jeudi, bises.
Valérie/

Nina Timm said...

For me this is what Fast Food should look like!!!

Soma said...

all the mangoes are gone! and this looks like a lip smacking good dish.

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious

Lisa said...

What a great stir fry with so many lovely colors.

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

I too am not a fan of the gloppy goopy chinese food so commonly found in restaurants. This recipe looks like the perfect way to enjoy such perfectly combined flavors. Love the mango.

Joudie's Mood Food said...

I think this is gorgeous. Straight to the point and full of flavour. I am not a massive fan of too much gelatinous food, so this is perfect.

sarah j. gim said...

gorgeous, as usual :)

The Urban Baker said...

yum, that looks delicious. I am so in love with the flavors of fall!

Laura said...

Looks so delicious and simple! I love a touch of sweet and mango sounds like the perfect compliment to this dish. I can't wait to try it!

AK @ Incontinence Supplies said...

Very nice... you got all your major food groups (as well as the main course and dessert) in the same dish!

Good thinking!

polwig said...

I love this dish, love mango and chicken... yummy...

Anonymous said...

This is one of my new favorite recipes!! Delicious and simple! I served this over rice noodles - I think in the future I will make some extra sauce as the noodles were a tad dry. SO GOOD!

Chocolate Shavings said...

kixxster: I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe! It's delicious with some steamed rice too

Blog Widget by LinkWithin